Guess what happened on June 26, 1974? The first product with a bar code was scanned at a check-out counter, it was a 10-pack of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit chewing gum. Patented in 1952, the barcode took about 50 years to become commercially viable, including advances in standardized formats and scanner systems, and boy has barcode scanning sped up getting our groceries, library books and clothes home, safe and sound.
Education professionals understand that immediate assessment of evidence-based programs is the key to delivering quality outcomes. Student pre and post assessment is one of the key tools in education. Student screening is a critical step for early identification of children who are at-risk. Screening intervention starts with identification; with accurate screening data you are able to identify those children who need additional help. Immediate feedback allows you to adapt your approach and develop timely plans and interventions. An effective screening program uses timely feedback to inform global policies implemented at all levels of your organization or district. Individual pre-post assessments support instructional adaptations and adjustments. Pre-post assessments also evaluate which programs work best for which groups.
When designing a screening intervention program, it is important to consider the following:
- Make a consistent plan to identify students at-risk and in need of interventions
- Make sure your individual assessments are available immediately; time is of the essence in providing appropriate interventions
- Plan how you will communicate results and share reports with parents; make sure this communications are clear and consistent
- Plan how your assessment results will be summarized; make sure they are then aggregated automatically
- To support continuous improvement, make sure you have flexible parameters available in reporting individual and group assessments
- If you haven't started yet, begin! Long-term data archived support longitudinal studies and inform evidence-based practices, resulting in individualized success plans