So, what does the COMET system do?
COMET works with educators, parents, program providers, policy makers, and researchers to improve outcomes for kids, supporting informed decision-making and raising organizational quality. Web-based and user-friendly, COMET features provide immediate, easy access for authorized users by linking new and existing data sources and systems.
- 24/7 access to child, classroom and program data
- Data to create need-based lesson and activity planning
- An efficient data entry process freeing up time for other activities
- Easy recording and reporting for attendance records
- Clean data without duplicates or errors
- Advanced, flexible reporting to meet the requests of all stakeholders
- Individualized data for progress monitoring and intervention
- Swift identification of children with unmet needs for faster, easier referral
- Multiple categories for tracking parental engagement
COMET customers have achieved:
- 95% to 98% on-time completion of assessments
- 25% to 40% reduction in the time required for completion compared to paper
- Savings equivalent to one full-time employee in a year
It's our people that make us unique!
Since 2008, the COMET team has been working to support the success of children. The people who develop and support COMET have first-hand knowledge of the challenges child-focused organizations face when operating and evaluating their programs. They have the expertise needed to deliver a data system that meets those needs, as well as the passion to understand and work with your organization to achieve your specific short and long-term goals. COMET was developed out of a partnership between two leading experts in their fields:
- A. Dirk Hightower, PhD from the Children's Institute, a center of excellence in supporting the social and emotional health of children, has been working with communities, schools and other not-for-profits for 30 years in an effort to support the success of children. His PhD is in school and community psychology with a focus on research and program evaluation. It has been his passion to support those who work directly with children, providing evidence-based programs and working with a model of continuous improvement.
- Serge Lossa, PhD from SophiTEC, Inc., a software development firm specializing in web-based, database applications. With both a PhD in computer science and an MBA, Dr. Lossa brings expertise in helping organizations solve their data dilemmas in a way that will streamline processes and optimize results. He believes in the power of data and the potential it provides for an organization's continous improvement and, ultimately, in improving outcomes.
Our customers use COMET in three basic ways:
- COMET Outcomes: assess and understand the progress of children to identify gaps, report gains and understand needs
- COMET Operations: operate a child-focused organization, including attendance or "dosage", membership, programs, classes and activities
- COMET Backbone: implement collaborative community and funding organization initiatives, integrating longitudinal data to improve outcomes across a community
Have any questions? Contact us and we will answer them!
Informatics is the science of information. As an academic field it involves the practice of information processing, and the engineering of information systems. It studies the structure, algorithms, behavior, and interactions of natural and artificial systems which store, process, access, and communicate information.